[microformats-discuss] Hi, I'm Kevin, and I'm Addicted To Microformats

Kevin Lawver kevin at lawver.net
Fri Oct 7 11:28:45 PDT 2005

My name is Kevin Lawver, and I work for AOL.  I heard about Microformats
from Tantek at SXSW 2003, and thought they were a good idea, and even
added have an XFN sticker on my Powerbook.

My personal interest in microformats stems from my general laziness and
love of conformity.  I don't want to have to think about how to mark
something up all the time.  I think Microformats can go a long way
towards standardizing how we mark up particular pieces of data that will
allow me to spend more time watching reality TV.

Seriously, I work at a company that has a huge collection of developers
spread all over the world.  If I can tell all of them, "Hey, you should
mark a review or search result or list of blog posts this way, and
heres' the documentation," they'll be more likely to do that, and we'll
have an easier time maintaining and "discovering" that content.  It's
why I pushed XHTML here, because we no longer had to argue about
uppercase tags or quoted attributes.  It was decided for us.  I'd love
to be able to use microformats to push that a little farther (and it
means I can write more compact and more readable CSS, which is a good
thing).

Cheers,
Kevin Lawver
http://lawver.net