[microformats-discuss] Some kind "CSS Zen Garden" for microformats (was: Code to handle Microformats)

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Tue Oct 18 10:31:49 PDT 2005

On Oct 18, 2005, at 10:04 AM, Jacob Ham wrote:

> I am not sure about others, but I am not clear on a microformat
> "zen garden".  The CSS Zen Garden shows how flexible CSS is based
> on a singular underlining (x)html structure.  Would a microformat
> zen garden be similar and just show styles? Or would the purpose be
> more directed toward the uses of microformats with examples in a
> "real" like enviorment?

One of the great things about microformats is that they enable
styling and unobtrusive scripting.

> Examples:
>
> A band web site with tour dates (hCalendar), links to other bands
> (XFN), licensing info (relLicense) and band information (hCard).
>
> A company web site with contact information (hCard), locations
> (geo, adr), lists of products (XOXO) and reviews of their products
> (hReview).

In this example, you could write a stylesheet and some javascript that:

1. Takes the hCard and links it to gMaps (maybe even embeds it in the
page).
2. For each of the products, adds some links or other data in
(assuming we had a products microformat)
3. For each of the reviews, do something else cool (I'm sure someone
can think of something).

Here's a scenario you might appreciate:

We provide a XOXO outline of hCards.

With this you could build an entire AddressBook.app in the browser.

Also, see this http://web.mit.edu/glasser/www/JSCalendar/ for an
example of the coolness I'm talking about (make sure you view-source
on that page).

> Maybe its just me, but it would be hard to instantly see the
> benefits of microformats.  Why not create Microformats.com to
> convey the meaning/uses/importance of microformats better with a
> php progam that extracts all the hCard, hCalendar, etc off of the
> web site?

Something like this would certainly appeal to programmers. A
Microformats Zen Garden (MZG) could appeal to designers, a related
but often distinct population.

Anyway, I suggest we start http://microformats.org/wiki/zen-garden
for persisting any plans we make here.

-ryan