[microformats-discuss] Take 2 Re: Definition of "microformat"?

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Sep 16 09:39:55 PDT 2005

Sigh.   Here I go disagreeing with myself again. :-)

After reading Tantek's dissection of RSS (doh! should've done that
sooner), let me amend my definition (Take 2)

Microformats are
  simple conventions
    that normalize existing tag usage patterns
    using brief, descriptive class names
  embedded in human-readable (X)HTML document
  that provide precise semantics
    for a specific problem domain
  which enable a decentralized ecosystem
    of resources, tools, and services

This attempts to capture the What, Where, How, and Why.   Is that
useful?

The short version is now less short, but is hopefully more
discriminatory:

"simple conventions embedded in HTML that provide semantics which
enable an ecosystem"

Is that appropriate vaguely enough? :-)

-- Ernie P.