[microformats-discuss] Definition of "microformat"?

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Fri Sep 16 09:18:49 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I can never resist a good etymological workout. :-) Here's my take:

Microformats are
  terse conventions
    for using existing tags
    and brief, descriptive class names
  that assign precise semantics
    for a single, well-defined problem domain
    within HTML/XHTML/XML documents

In short, "Microformats are terse conventions that assign precise
semantics."

-- Ernie P.

"Keep things as vague as possible -- but no vaguer"
(Dr. Ernie's First Law of Marketing)