[microformats-discuss] (url) canonicalization

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at opendarwin.org
Mon Sep 26 13:28:31 PDT 2005

On Sep 26, 2005, at 1:19 PM, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:
> This is pretty tied up in the issue of creating a weblog
> microformat. In  particular, creating (if necessary and if
> possible) an equivalence between RSS/Atom/Feed entries and entries
> within the HTML wevkig, which of course can be summaries/teasers,
> complete, on the main page, or in multiple different archives, and
> so forth.

Actually, I'm thinking this is a very common design pattern
(nanoformat ?).   I can think of a whole bunch of cases where I'd
like to be able to specify a list of items, one of which is preferred:

* feeds
* thumbnails
* email addresses
* multi-res media downloads
* translations
* formats (HTML vs. PDF)

I think the most common HTML implementation of this is an ordered
list, where the first choice is preferred, i.e.:

<ol class='pickone'>
<li>I am the greatest</li> <-- Default, aka Canonical -->
<li>We're #2</li>
<li>Who cares?</li>
</ol>

Of course, that's only useful is there's additional attributes that
allow for meaningful 'picks', e.g., size, language, etc.

Is there in fact a general way to handle this?  Are these *always*
links, so we can use 'rel'?

-- Ernie P.