[uf-discuss] Google at it again

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 06:37:06 PDT 2006

On 4/13/06, Antonio Touriño <atourino at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe the Google Calendar guys are not as thourough in their due
> dilligence or maybe they considered hCal but discarded it for some
> reason. Maybe it would be a good idea to bring them into our
> discussion to have them shed us some light on the matter? I have no
> connection with Google so I don't know if I could reach anyone in the
> Calendar team but maybe someone in this mailing list could. It would
> be a good thing to have them more involved in hCal and uFs in general.

I second this (although I have no good Google contacts either).
Sniping from the sidelines makes us look petty and insular.  Instead
of making assumptions about big bad evil Google ignoring open
standards and locking users in, have we tried opening a dialogue?

Remember, the initial release of Gmail had no POP support, but it was
added a few months later.  (I remember this detail because it was the
thing that caused me to reject Gmail until they added it.)  Anyway,
I'd bet microformats were not a top priority for their initial release
of Gcal, but that doesn't mean they can't add it later.

--
Cheers,
-Mark