"uid" microformats? (was Re: [uf-discuss] ISBN mark-up)

Xiaoming Liu liu_x at lanl.gov
Wed Apr 26 10:12:29 PDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> On 4/25/06 8:04 PM, "Edward Summers" <ehs at pobox.com> wrote:

[... snip ...]

>> I just added it
>> to the uid-brainstorming [1] page.

To repay the favor, I added more examples in [1]

> But I think there are two questions here.
>
> 1. Marking up URIs more generally.
> 2. Marking up *the* URI for an item (this is what I believe is meant by
> UID).
>
> The UID microformat discussion is attempting to solve the latter, though it
> is reasonable to at least document our thoughts on the former.

Thanks for differenciating "type" and "means" of data in this
discussion, as posted in [2]. I agree URI is a data type, and UID is more
about semantics, so there are rooms for co-existence.

Take a step further, in iCalendar, there are sugggested good practices:

UID:19960401T080045Z-4000F192713-0052 at host1.com

This is not a registerred URI, should this be allowed in UID? anyhow I put
some examples to illustrate the possible combinations:

-- url + uid (url is subset of uri, so perhaps no reason of repeating
here)
<a class="url uid" href="http://example.com/contentspace/somenumber">the
item</a>

-- uri + uid
<a class="uri uid" href="urn:uuid:f81d4fae-7dec-11d0-a765-00a0c91e6bf6">the
item</a>

-- uid (not uri, see iCalendar example)
<a class="uid" href="19960401T080045Z-4000F192713-0052 at host1.com">the
item</a>

-- uri (in other use cases)
<abbr class="uri" title="urn:isbn:0950788120">0 9507881-2-0</abbr>

does this make sense?

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/uid-examples
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/uid-brainstorming

xiaoming