[uf-discuss] Useful to have multiple links that provide the same tag?

Ben Ward lists at ben-ward.co.uk
Sun Dec 24 08:04:41 PST 2006

On 24 Dec 2006, at 14:04, Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> entry
> for juicer</a>

> pages with a juicer tag</a>

> page on juicers</a>
>
> Would it be meaningful to put all three links into my web page, i.e.,
> tag my web page three times with the same tag?

I believe that the uniqueness of the ‘tag’ is the URL. So what you've
got there are three different tags. The URLs they link to can be used
to disambiguate the meaning (less so with ‘juicer’, but with other
tags like ‘windows’ linking to the Wikipedia article on the Microsoft
Windows operating system will disambiguate from the kind that I'm
looking out of and from the GUI concept that I'm typing into.)

So yes, you can provide meaning because linking to certain tag spaces
can disambiguate. Whether that's useful for every tag or not is
debatable though and probably comes down to personal preference and
whether you think it will be useful for the users of your particular
site to be linked to aggregators like Technorati.