[uf-discuss] hresume draft

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 13 08:28:12 PST 2006

On 2/13/06 7:59 AM, "Scott Reynen" <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2006, at 1:25 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>
>> Again, because he is no longer has that title and org (i.e.
>> "former"), I
>> don't think it is appropriate to mark it up as such, because by
>> doing so,
>> you are claiming it to be a currently (as of your blog post date) true
>> statement.
>
> On Feb 13, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Tantek Çelik wrote:
>
>> Someone's business card is *still* one of their business cards,
>> even 5 years
>> later, even after they have changed jobs.
>
> I'm having trouble reconciling the two.

The context is key in both cases.

Info published a blog post (whether an hCard, or an XFN relationship, etc.)
is being asserted by the author to be true as far as they know, as of the
time of the blog post.

Info published in a resume, in particular, inside an hCalendar event, is
being asserted by the author to be true as far as they know, during the time
range indicated by the hCalendar event.  It may or may not be true before or
after that time range, and the author makes no assertions either way.

> Either hCards are assumed to be current, or they're not.

No.  The temporal context determines that.

> Wrapping an hCard in an event doesn't change the parsing rules
> for hCards.

Parsing an hCard is one thing.  Applying temporal semantics is another.

> If we're not expecting hCards in hResume to be parsed
> the same as every other hCard

They *can* be of course, but that doesn't mean that you don't get more
information from a parser that better understands the context.

> why are we calling them hCards at
> all?

Because semantically that's what they are.

>  I still don't see what is gained from this.

Re-use.  One of the fundamental principles of microformats.

> Ryan King has offered one explanation:
>
>> However it would not be a generalizable solution.
>
> But what happened to "solve a specific problem"?

This is solving a specific problem.  Once we have solved a specific
microformats problem, we look at re-using the solution in other contexts.

> What is the
> specific problem class="vcard" solves in hResume experience

It asserts the relationship between the subject (person) of the resume and
the other information like their organization, title etc.

> and
> education?

It provides the contact information for the school (or other institution)
which educated them.

Thanks,

Tantek