[uf-discuss] locality sans adr;abbr for state/country etc?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Mon Jan 16 13:48:02 PST 2006

On Jan 16, 2006, at 1:34 PM, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:
> Ryan King wrote:
>> On Jan 16, 2006, at 11:54 AM, B.K. DeLong wrote:
>>> or should I simply make it

>> But I'd say that his is more semantic, because you're reusing the
>> semantics of http://microformats.org/wiki/adr.
>
> Why not:

> Unbelievable. Yesterday's high temperature in
> it was 57 degrees out.

Because locality is a subproperty of adr. They can't be on the same
element.

>>> i.e.

>>> title="California">CA</abbr>
>> I don't think there's been any discussion of this, but I've seen
>> examples of people doing precisely this. So, you're not alone here.
>
> If you were to do this (I'm not saying it's a good or bad idea)
> wouldn't you do it the other way, with the machine readable data
> inside the title?
>
> <abbr class="region" title="CA">California</a>,
> <abbr class="country" title="US">U.S.A.</abbr>

Indeed, California isn't really an abbreviation for 'CA,' so using it
that way doesn't really make sense. However, notice in http://
microformats.org/wiki/hcard-profile, that there isn't actually a
country property, but a 'country-name' property, which means that it
should be more like:

<abbr class="country-name" title="United States of America">U.S.A.</
abbr>

-ryan