[uf-discuss] locality sans adr;abbr for state/country etc?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 16 14:06:25 PST 2006

Summary note:

A lot of these look interesting.  BK, David, Ryan, one of you want to start
a "adr-examples" page and start documenting some of these?

 http://microformats.org/wiki/adr-examples

On 1/16/06 1:48 PM, "Ryan King" <ryan at technorati.com> wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2006, at 1:34 PM, David Janes -- BlogMatrix wrote:
>> Ryan King wrote:

>>> But I'd say that his is more semantic, because you're reusing the
>>> semantics of http://microformats.org/wiki/adr.
>>
>> Why not:

>> Unbelievable. Yesterday's high temperature in
>> it was 57 degrees out.
>
> Because locality is a subproperty of adr. They can't be on the same
> element.

Precisely.  I know there has already been some lengthy discussion threads on
this.  Perhaps this is deserving of an FAQ entry.

>>> I don't think there's been any discussion of this, but I've seen
>>> examples of people doing precisely this. So, you're not alone here.
>>
>> If you were to do this (I'm not saying it's a good or bad idea)
>> wouldn't you do it the other way, with the machine readable data
>> inside the title?
>>
>> <abbr class="region" title="CA">California</a>,
>> <abbr class="country" title="US">U.S.A.</abbr>
>
> Indeed, California isn't really an abbreviation for 'CA,' so using it
> that way doesn't really make sense. However, notice in http://
> microformats.org/wiki/hcard-profile, that there isn't actually a
> country property, but a 'country-name' property, which means that it
> should be more like:
>
> <abbr class="country-name" title="United States of America">U.S.A.</
> abbr>

Right.

Thanks,

Tantek