[uf-discuss] solidifying multiple hatom feed behavior

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Tue Jul 25 12:11:44 PDT 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Ryan King wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2006, at 6:38 AM, Chris Casciano wrote:

>> I've added to the hatom issues page draft rules for multiple feeds
>> -- they don't necessarily alter the 0.1 behaviors, or add any new
>> "requirements" to the spec but outline the expected behavior in
>> the various scenarios.
>>
>> http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom-
>> issues#Draft_Rules_for_multiple_feeds
>

>> Issue: what is the result of trying to address a feed at a non-
>> existing fragment identifier? Same as no fragment id specified, or
>> a not found error?
>
> I think we should do what browsers do - just ignore it and work on
> the entire page.

I'm good with that

>> Issue: for authors, is there any way we can control a redirect for
>> a feed addressed via fragment id?
>
> With HTTP, no. With javascript, yes. Of course javascript won't
> always work for non-visual user agents.

Its not a huge issue.. .but will come up i'm sure so I figured I'd
toss it out there

>> Issue: is the reliance on class + id too strict? we may be losing
>> other non-ambiguous constructs for sake of simplicity (e.g. roots
>> are [1]body [2] hfeed w/id or [1] body w/ id [2] hfeed w/id)
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. Can you expound a bit?
>
> thanks,
> -ryan

If you look at the hfeed tests I posted at that link there are a few
potentially non-ambiguous cases where both feeds could be explicitly
identified.. particularly the following markup from some document
test.html:

	<!-- feed 1 entries -->
		<!-- feed 2 entries -->

this.html#feed2 is clear that you're addressing the inner feed... but
does this.html#feed1 address the outer feed only, or do you combine
the feed contents via SOURCE as you would this.html? [Here i would /
think/ you'd grab just feed1, but i could go both ways.]

I guess that brings up the general case of what to do with a fragment
ID when its not an hfeed element.. just parse inside the HTML
fragment or ignore it? e.g.

	<!-- feed 1 entries -->
		<!-- feed 2 entries -->

if the parser is passed the url test.html#notafeed do you look only
inside that fragment creating an almost identical feed to #feed2, or
ignore it and grab the whole page? [Here i'd ignore it]

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]