[uf-discuss] solidifying multiple hatom feed behavior

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Tue Jul 25 13:52:24 PDT 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 12:11 PM, Chris Casciano wrote:
> On Jul 25, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Ryan King wrote:
>> On Jul 24, 2006, at 6:38 AM, Chris Casciano wrote:
>>> Issue: is the reliance on class + id too strict? we may be losing
>>> other non-ambiguous constructs for sake of simplicity (e.g. roots
>>> are [1]body [2] hfeed w/id or [1] body w/ id [2] hfeed w/id)
>>
>> I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. Can you expound a bit?
>
> If you look at the hfeed tests I posted at that link there are a
> few potentially non-ambiguous cases where both feeds could be
> explicitly identified.. particularly the following markup from some
> document test.html:

> 	<!-- feed 1 entries -->
> 		<!-- feed 2 entries -->
>
> this.html#feed2 is clear that you're addressing the inner feed...
> but does this.html#feed1 address the outer feed only, or do you
> combine the feed contents via SOURCE as you would this.html? [Here
> i would /think/ you'd grab just feed1, but i could go both ways.]

I was under the impression that the implied-root-classname
optimization only applies if the root classname doesn't appear in the
document. In other words, #feed1 is not a feed.

> I guess that brings up the general case of what to do with a
> fragment ID when its not an hfeed element.. just parse inside the
> HTML fragment or ignore it? e.g.

With X2V, we parse inside it. I think this is the most user-friendly
thing to do.

> 	<!-- feed 1 entries -->
> 		<!-- feed 2 entries -->
>
> if the parser is passed the url test.html#notafeed do you look only
> inside that fragment creating an almost identical feed to #feed2,
> or ignore it and grab the whole page? [Here i'd ignore it]

This is a bit tricky, but I'd err on just doing what the user says.
If they want that part of the page, then give it to them.

-ryan