Language Maps [was RE: [uf-discuss] Microformats vs XML]

Steven Livingstone connect at stevenR2.com
Mon May 1 03:38:54 PDT 2006

Why not just specify or xml:lang attribute on the Microformat?

e.g.

<a rel="reference" href="http://www.microformats.org/wiki/hcard-profile" xml:lang="fr">
Carte de langue pour hCarte à hCard</a>

<class = "profile" xml:lang="fr">
  <dl>
   <dt id='nom-et-prenoms' ref='fn'>nom-et-prenoms</dt>
    <dd>Le nom et prenoms</dd>
   <dt id='donne-le-nom' ref='given-name'>donne-le-nom</dt>
    <dd>Donne le nom</dd>
   <dt id='nom-de-famille' ref='family-name'>nom-de-famille</dt>
    <dd>Nom de famille</dd>
  </dl>
</class>

That way an interpreter could just check the value of this and map the class name.

This would allow me to easily have an English, Spanish and French hCard on the same page.

----
Steven Livingstone
http://stevenR2.com