localizing dates (was Language Maps [was RE: [uf-discuss] Microformats vs XML])

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed May 3 09:24:49 PDT 2006

On 5/2/06 1:18 AM, "Kevin Marks" <kmarks at technorati.com> wrote:

> One minor thought before we go - I can envisage a javascript that used
> the abbr date-pattern to replace dates with user-local ones in the
> content, while retaining the machine-friendly ones in the abbr.

Localizing dates is a different problem than the properties in microformats.

The dates are content.

There are proposals for new CSS properties to essentially do this (alter the
presentation of datetime information based upon the natural language, or
user preferences), but yes, in the short term, javascripts which can do
exactly as you say would be interesting.

Thanks,

Tantek