[uf-discuss] hcalendar timezone, DST examples

Michael MD mdagn at spraci.com
Fri May 12 16:56:28 PDT 2006

> I believe the most common flaw in vevents is currently missing or
> incorrect timezones.  I was just looking at how timezones are shown
> in the examples, and discovered that they aren't.  Every single
> example is marked as Z.  On the live web, I don't see many actually
> converting their times to UTC, so I think the examples should
> probably reflect the more common use of offsets to encourage better
> timezone markup.

I've seen the same thing happening in a lot of ical feeds.

Maybe we need some simple instructions with pointers to timezone data in the
faq?
There seems to be a lack of openly accessable and accurate timezone data out
there to do the conversions.

I run a website with events listings for many countries worldwide, that is
why timezone conversions are such an issue here.

For most people just knowing their offset from GMT will probably be enough,
but in my case an accurate way of converting any timezone to/from GMT is
needed.

Yes of course browser based applications could see the user's time settings
and can do tricks with javascript but what if their pc clock is wrong?
... and what about server-side stuff?