[uf-discuss] Re: Actions

Rob O'Rourke rob at sanchothefat.com
Wed Nov 1 10:10:24 PST 2006

Scott Reynen wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Joel Selvadurai wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm new here so forgive me for mentioning something which may have
>> come up before.
>>
>> I was thinking that there needs to be some sort of microformat for an
>> action. For example, a hResume may contain an action, and the action
>> may be 'call' or 'email' specifying phone number email address.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> It sounds like what you're describing is contact information, which is
> covered by hCard:
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard
>
> Specifically, the 'tel' and 'email' properties cover your examples.
> You can embed hCard within hResume.
>
> Peace,
> Scott

I'd agree with Scott there, 'call' and 'email' in hcard are more like a
choice or just information presented to the reader, actions suggest
something you're supposed to do on a page or what a particular page
itself is supposed to do. The <form> attribute "action" covers that. Say
you have an email form, perhaps nested in your hcard instead of a
mailto, this will already have an "action", namely 'contact' or
'send-mail' or whatever the name of the page is that the form posts to.

I can't think of a way to make your email address exportable doing it
that way though, unless you can have action="mailto:foo at bar.com" but
that just seems silly. Not to mention the w3c spec doesn't want to touch
action="anything-other-than-an-http-uri" with a barge pole.

Rob O