[uf-discuss] hcard real world application

Frances Berriman fberriman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 05:54:57 PST 2006

On 11/14/06, Gary Barber <gazbe at radharc.com.au> wrote:
> EG
>
> http://www.rmaa.com.au/docs/contacts/index.cfm

I don't see a problem with marking up those phone numbers.  As
mentioned by Drew "freecall" isn't a type.  All of those numbers use
differing prefixes to indicate their call cost band (0800 and 1800
suggest free - 0800 seems fairly universal, it turns out, eh?) and
their location would be defined by pre-fixing all of those numbers
with +02 (Australia?) etc.  hCard doesn't allow additional indicators
for country - as none are required if the phone number is given in
it's completeness.

To be fair though.. once extracted from a page, and without the
additional text in the originating page to indicate in words that a
phone number is for UK - it does require that the *person* using the
information knows that +44 is for the UK.  That's a different issue
though - My phone book, for example, doesn't have slots for different
numbers in different countries (country, also, isn't a type).  It
*does* rely on *me* knowing what's for what country.
--
Frances Berriman
http://fberriman.com