[uf-discuss] Proposal: wine

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Nov 17 16:06:43 PST 2006

In message <455E331E.2010807 at scrugy.com>, James Jory <james at scrugy.com>
writes

>>> What I was getting at was that the typical wine consumer and the
>>> content providers catering to wine consumers are less interested in the
>>> scientific classification of a particular grape or yeast and more
>>> interested in where to buy wine, who made it, how much it costs, recent
>>> reviews, and so on.

>> You think wine buyers aren't interested in the variety of grape?
>>
>I believe I said scientific classification. Of course wine buyers are
>interested in the grape variety.

The grape variety *is* a scientific classification.

> What they're not interested in is the full biological taxonomy of the
>grape variety which is what you initially suggested.

I did *not* suggest a full biological taxonomy; I suggested a
binominal-variety combination.

And I did, indeed; /suggest/, it; by way of an example; hence my use of
the word "say". It could just as easily be a simple:

Either way; it certainly makes more sense to use the same term as
eventually used in "species", than, say, class="grape".

>They're buying wine and not retaking high school biology.

Oh, really?

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>