[uf-discuss] hAlias vs hCard

Frances Berriman fberriman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 09:12:27 PDT 2006

On 10/3/06, Jason Jobe <jason2005 at jasonjobe.com> wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Jason :)

> I'm new to the list and just learning about microformats. Cool stuff.
>
> My question / proposal is this.
>
> Is there and should there be something I will refer to as an alias
> (hAlias)? The motivation to have and offer one's alias is to maintain
> a greater level of privacy. Suppose I want to give someone a way to
> contact me without divulging all my vital (more permanent and
> personal) attributes. Sort of a disposable email, or such. I can
> imagine that 3rd party services would offer some privacy enhanced
> email services, etc.

hCard already fits this.  For hCard the only required information is a
name - and of course, the name you choose to use online is completely
up to you!  Any other information is completely optional.  In theory,
you could maintain two identities online realistically - one real, and
one alternate identity.

> Basically, I want a way to introduce myself and provide some contact
> information without requiring a full disclosure.
>
> Schema-wise this is really just a handle, optional description, and URL.
>
> I look forward to your comments and suggestions.
>
> -jason

Frances Berriman
http://www.fberriman.com