[uf-discuss] Visible Data...a Microformat requirement?

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Mon Oct 23 03:07:50 PDT 2006

On 10/23/06, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I'd suggest could be solved using an appropriate new link at rel, and then
> convicing the search engines to pay attention to it ;-)
>
> Do you mean in <head>?   Did you see my earlier comments about wikis, CMS,
> and forums, where the user often may not have control of putting things in
> <head>?

I did, I'm not sure what to think about it.  It'd take a lot to
convince me that HEAD isn't the place for meta-data, for a start ;-)
The similarities between this and link at rel="alternate" are
particularly striking, and so that's the solution that would
immediately suggest itself to me.

a at rel="bookmark" [1] encapsulates some of the semantics of being an
'authoritative version' of an item (for instance in hAtom[2]).  You
could potentially use that in your markup, but using it with an
'empty' link wouldn't be something that I'd find appealing, YMMV.

> I can do two things; implement it and probably get it wrong because I'd not> have the benefit of feedback from the so many skilled people involved in
> Microformats, or include in the Microformats process and get the feedback to
> make it (and others) the best they can be.

The microformats list and/or IRC channel are, I've found, a great
place to discuss semantic XHTML in general.  I'd encourage you to
publish your data using whatever sensible scheme you deem appropriate,
maybe after some discussion here and elsewhere.

-Ciaran McNulty

  [1]  http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-bookmark#rel.3D.22bookmark.22
  [2]  http://microformats.org/wiki/hatom#Entry_Permalink