[uf-discuss] Criticism of Microformats

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Sep 24 14:19:08 PDT 2006

On 9/24/06 2:05 PM, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <C13C306A.7BB10%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
> <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes
>
>> On 9/24/06 12:01 PM, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> It seemed to me that a page linking to (non-hysterical) criticism of
>>> Microformats might be useful, so I created one:
>>>
>>>       <ttp://microformats.org/wiki/criticism>
>>
>> This is certainly a reasonable approach, to openly confront criticisms and
>> thus dispose of them.
>
> You seem to discount the possibility of recognising, accepting and
> addressing them.

Apologies, "dispose" as in "disposition of comments" is W3C jargon (at least
that's where I learned it) for accepting and addressing comments/criticism.

 http://google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.w3.org+%22Disposition+of+Comments%22

So no, not discounting at all, rather quite the opposite.

>>  So far we have been using the FAQ as a general place
>> to clarify/answer general criticisms/issues.
>
> If people are discussing microformats elsewhere, then they're not
> necessarily going to see the FAQ (at least not unless somebody goes to
> that place and pints them at it)

That's ok.  As long as the community deals with it and publishes it, the
information will eventually be found.  We can make it much easier to find
and browse on microformats.org rather than scattered across random forums
which may not even have decent permalinks.  That being said it doesn't hurt
to at least post links in those other fora to the dispositions of
comments/criticisms/issues on microformats.org.

>>> as always, please feel free to add to and develop it (even if it is "my
>>> idea, my proposal and my research"!)
>>
>> Andy, regarding that in particular, clearly you've been quite prolific in
>> your contributions to the microformats wiki and you are to be commended and
>> recognized for your contributions (as should anyone who makes such
>> substantial contributions to wiki pages).
>>
>> If you'd like, I encourage you to add a "Contributors" section to the pages
>> you've created and list your name.
>
> Thank you; I wasn't seeking self-glorification,

I wasn't implying that you were. I meant what I said, recognition is valid.

> merely quoting something
> said elsewhere in this list. Perhaps we need a microformat to identify
> irony ;-)

Perhaps, though we really should start with a smiley-examples page just to
make sure we first document existing practice ;)

I meant it about "Contributors" sections.  I repeat the encouragement for
you to add them.

Thanks,

Tantek