[uf-discuss] Microformats UI in Firefox 3

Alex Faaborg faaborg at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 28 02:13:15 PDT 2007

> are you saying that the
> blogger/webmaster is deciding the actions rather than fx3 or an
> Operator
> like extension.

No, the browser should still act as a mediator between data and
applications, otherwise people will tie there information to
particular apps (like what is currently happening with RSS and
podcasts).  This results in a lot of problems, like a complex UI,
lock in, content creators having to regularly update their sites, etc.

However, I understand your confusion, the fact that there are
multiple actions that can be applied to an hCard messes up my example.

What if we agreed on some basic default "application types" (map,
calendar, address book, etc.), and so the example would then have two
actions (assuming they both made sense in context):

Address Book</div>

And third party extensions could register additional user actions
(here is a genetics example):

Gene</div>

-Alex