[uf-discuss] hMood/hPresence?

Ben Buchanan microformats at 200ok.com.au
Wed Feb 7 15:53:47 PST 2007

> > Is there any plan/interest to work on a hMood or hPresence microformat
> > that could describe information related to the mood or the activity of
> > a person/group? Bloggers typically express their feelings over the
> > web, or what they have been doing during the day, so it would be
> > interesting to better formalize this information...

I think there is a good idea here. I've read blog posts where the
intent wasn't really clear because I didn't know the author's mood at
the time. ie. is the author angry and really means what they're
saying, but is perhaps not expressing it very clearly? Are they joking
around because they're in a whimsical mood?

Getting that sort of thing wrong on an email or blog post can have
serious repercussions.

> Could a mood not be described accurately simply by using a @rel-tag?
> Afterall, the mood and activity is simply added to give a blog post, for
> example, additional context and this is the purpose of tagging.

Well it could but it's not exactly in the spirit of tagging - ie. it's
about the author of the post, not the topic of the post. The post
isn't *about* being "happy", the post was written while someone was
*feeling* happy. What if they blog about sadness while they're
actually happy? How do you extract their mood from a set of tags
including "happy" and "sad"?

Of course the trick is then to make sure the mood indicator was
clearly about their state of mind versus their mood about the topic.
ie. "i am feeling chilled today, but this topic pisses me off" might
mean hmood -> chilled, tag -> pissed off.

Just some thoughts anyway.

-Ben

--
--- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not