[uf-discuss] Rel-tag issues, i can't create my own tagspace!

James Craig jcraig at apple.com
Thu Feb 8 02:14:50 PST 2007

Brian Suda wrote:

> I would love to have my host have the latest, greatest version of PHP
> technology. If they don't i don't go complain to PHP and ask them to
> back-port functionality to an earlier version. I buck it up and either
> move hosts, pay for the better service or co-locate my own box. It is
> silly to think that it is a problem with the specification.

Quoting from About Microformats: "Designed for humans first and
machines second, microformats are a set of simple, open data formats
built upon existing and widely adopted standards." This also implies
they should be easy to implement. Co-locating your own box and
rocking mod_rewrite can hardly be considered easy implementation of a
"simple" data format.

> while i understand a given server setup might have limitations,
> that's not a microformats problem, that is your problem.

Your taking the elitist way out. I believe it's a microformats
problem to encourage adoption and to figure out a standard that will
work for the most people. Which is better? A massive dissemination of
usable tag metadata, or a smaller subset of tag metadata with pretty
URLs?

James

PS. Nice change of the subject line.