[uf-discuss] Training events in hResume

stephen mulcahy stephen at skynet.ie
Mon Feb 19 09:26:33 PST 2007

Hi,

I differentiate between training and education but don't
subdifferentiate training which leads to certification and training
which doesn't (I guess in my experience - the prescence or abscence of a
certificate is not a useful metric to the quality of the training ...
but I may just be a little cynical about the entire notion of
certification which isn't going to be helpful to this discussion :)

I think education typically tends to be relatively broad and long-term -
say a degree spanning 4 years in the area of IT or Computer Science
while a training course tends to be very focused and intended to equip
someone with specific skills than expand their knowledge (I'm using
those terms loosely here and fear I may offend someones exact
definitions but I'm hoping you get my general idea) - say a Linux System
Administration course.

I can see how others view them all as "that which involves the
acquisition of knowledge" but thats not a useful perspective to me when
reviewing peoples CVs (or indeed preparing my own).

You may be right about different cultural perceptions of training and
education.

-stephen