[uf-discuss] Rough consensus and working code

Joe Andrieu joe at andrieu.net
Thu Jan 4 15:05:26 PST 2007

Hey folks, especially Tantek,

I just wanted to reconnect in this forum with something I believe in
strongly, even though my latest posts about governance might seem to be
a bit contrary:

  "We reject: kings, presidents, and voting. We believe in: rough
consensus and running code."

That's a quote from David Clark in 'Rough Consensus and Running Code'
and the Internet-OSI Standards War[1].

There's also a brief article in a similar vein "Rough Consensus and
Running Code
KISSING THE FROG OF HTTP" [2].

So far microformats has done great with the rough consensus and running
code. I think that's a large part of why it works.  We could probably
improve on our rejection of kings and presidents, although it is hard to
figure out how to do that without creating other problems.

Cheers,

-j

[1]
http://www.computer.org/portal/cms_docs_annals/annals/content/promo2.pdf