[uf-discuss] Re: rel="tag"

Nick Peters strategicpause at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:16:08 PST 2007

On 03/01/07, Frances Berriman <fberriman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I might be misunderstanding you, but I think you might be confusing
> categorisation with tagging (the latter being a method of adding
> additional context)?
I guess my question was why it was chosen to extract the last part of
the URL to signify the tag instead of the contents of the anchor tag.
Someone used "<a rel="tag" http://exmaple.com/kid-safe>porn</a>" as an
example, but didn't really explain their example further.  I just
wanted further clarification on the choice other than "it's based off
commonly used standards."
The problem with using URLs for the tags is that not everyone will
have mod_rewrite setup to properly adhere to the current standard,
which is why you may have those blogs (such as wordpress) that show up
differently.  Perhaps something like Ciaran McNulty idea of using the
title property to specify that tag name could be looked into?  It's
seems like an easy and straight-forward way of extracting the
information.
-Nick