[uf-discuss] rel="tag"

Ben Buchanan microformats at 200ok.com.au
Thu Jan 4 20:21:43 PST 2007

> Seeing the tag implementation on Operator has made me question the
> existing tagging standard.  With wordpress you may get something like
> "?cat=13" for a tag or something that may not even be the intended tag
[snip]

I find this quite frustrating too. I've expanded on my thoughts at
http://weblog.200ok.com.au/2006/01/limitations-of-rel-microformat.html
so I won't rehash it here.

I don't see a clear reason why ?tag=blah couldn't be an acceptable
format. I also think the standard should require parsers to match the
tag and the visible text (failure meaning the tag is rejected).

That would stop obvious abuse like <a
href="http://technorati.com/tag/nasty+nsfw+stuff" rel="tag">nice
worksafe stuff</a> being indexed. That way your expectations based on
visible text would be addressed as well.

cheers,

Ben

--
--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not