[uf-discuss] Validator

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sun Jan 7 12:17:49 PST 2007

On 1/7/07 9:45 AM, "Mark Jaroski" <mark at geekhive.net> wrote:

> Hi all,

Welcome to the list Mark!

> I dunno if this question has been asked before; I only looked two months
> back.

http://microformats.org/wiki/faq#Q:_How_do_I_validate_my_microformated_conte
nt.3F

(just edited with more content from this email thread/reply also)

> But anyhow, is anybody working on a validator?

There isn't a formal validator yet for microformats, but it is on the
community to-do list - feel free to add your own specific requests/details
for a validator as well:

http://microformats.org/wiki/to-do#for_all_microformats

> I've just started using
> µformats on http://wikevent.org

First of all - very impressive.

Are you marking them up by hand?

If so, please add them to the respective Examples in the Wild sections/pages
on the wiki, e.g. http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-examples-in-wild for
venues, and "hcalendar-" for events.

Or do you have a MediaWiki plugin that creates the microformats
automatically for venues and events?

In that case, please add your plugin (and Wikevent.org) to the respective
Implementations sections/pages on the wiki, e.g.
http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-implementations for venues, and
"hcalendar-" for events.

> and would love to be able to validate them.

Posting here, and adding to the examples/implementations sections/pages
accordingly will very often get folks from the community to take a look and
review them / validate them by hand for you.  For example, I found:

http://wikevent.org/en/San_Francisco/Canvas_Gallery

has an hCard for the Canvas Gallery - excellent!

Some minor problems:

1. <span class="addr"> should be <span class="adr">

2. <span class="street-address">1200 9th Ave, San Francisco, CA</span>

should be:

3. <span class="address-extra">9th Ave &amp; Lincoln in the Inner Sunset
Neighborhood, There is ample parking in our lot or within the Park</span>

should be

Neighborhood, There is ample parking in our lot or within the Park</span>

4. Include a "url" back to the Wikevent page itself so that folks that
import the hCard have an easy way to get back to the Wiki version to edit
it. E.g.

<a class="url"
href="http://wikevent.org/en/San_Francisco/Canvas_Gallery">wikevent
venue</a>

5. For more suggestions see: http://microformats.org/wiki/hcard-authoring

The rest of it looked fine, and when I tried to import it with the
Technorati Contacts Feed service[1], it imported fine (except for the
address, due to the abovementioned bugs).

<http://feeds.technorati.com/contacts/http://wikevent.org/en/San_Francisco/C
anvas_Gallery>

X2V / Technorati Contacts Feed service can often be used to make sure that
you've marked up your hCards correctly.  Similarly with events and the
Events Feed service[2].

The first event on that page has a few minor problems as well:

1. On the dtstart: title="2007-01-07T15:00:00Z-08:00"
should be
title="2007-01-07T15:00:00-08:00"

No "Z" required when a time zone offset is present.

2. Similarly with the dtend

3. Surround the details of the event with a <div class="description"> e.g.

class="new" title="Joanna Barbera">Joanna Barbera</a> (<a
href="/wiki/en/index.php?title=Category:Italian&amp;action=edit" class="new"
title="Category:Italian">Italian</a> <a
href="/wiki/en/index.php?title=Category:Wine&amp;action=edit" class="new"
title="Category:Wine">Wine</a> <a href="/en/Category:Singer"
title="Category:Singer">Singer</a>)
Grolsch

4. Include the "price" info etc. in the description paragraphs as well
instead of simply adjacent to the end time.

5. Include a "url" back to the event itself on Wikevent so that folks that
import the hCalendar event have an easy way to get back to the Wiki version
to edit it.

6. For more suggestions see http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-authoring

The rest of that hCalendar event looked fine, and when I tried to import it
with the Technorati Events Feed service[2], it imported fine (except for the
time zone being wrong due to the extraneous "Z" as pointed out, and the
missing info).

<http://feeds.technorati.com/events/http://wikevent.org/en/San_Francisco/Can
vas_Gallery>

Excellent work Mark, and welcome!