[uf-discuss] Operator Usability Question

Mike Kaply microformats at kaply.com
Sat Jan 13 08:17:11 PST 2007

I apologize for asking an Operator question to the microformats group,
but this functionality will probably be most used by you all, so you
are the right people to ask.

Currently, holding down the Ctrl Key when clicking on an entry in
Operator displays the HTML and holding down the shift key when
clicking displays the content as I store it in an internal structure.

Unfortunately, my choice of the Ctrl key was a bad one, since the Ctrl
key is used to affect tabbed browser behavior. I'd like to change
Operator so that when the Ctrl key is held down when clicking, it
opens the web page specific to the operator action in a background
tab.

The only keyboard action I'm left with using is Ctrl+Shift at the same
time (alt isn't available).

So, here's the question.

Of the two actions I provide, which is the most useful to microformat
developers, seeing the source of the microformat or how I interpret
it?

Should I assign the Shift key to displaying the microformat and
Ctrl+Shift to displaying my internal representation (since I may be
the only one that uses it)

Alternatively, should I simply add menu items that correspond to these
two actions when Operator is in debug mode and get rid of the
keystrokes completely.

Or perhaps a menuitem to display the HTML, and the hidden action (Ctrl
key) displays the internal representation.

Thanks for any input you can provide.