[uf-discuss] Search on CSS element (was: Making Microformats Searchable)

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 03:22:38 PST 2007

On 1/22/07, David Janes <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com> wrote:
> Last week in Boston we were discussing Pingerati and "how do you find
> microformats" (in general). One passing idea I had was that search
> engines should supply a CSS element selector. So for example, to find
> Tantek's hCard we could search "tantek css:vcard". Neatly, this shows
> one of the great benefits of microformats -- by working in HTML data
> world, we gain the benefits of existing tools but still work with
> data.

there was a discussion awhile ago on the list serv about ALEXA doing
CSS searches[1]. It was after you downloaded and paided for the search
data. They were doing a quick string search for 'vcard' to quickly
reduce the sample set. Then they were attempting to parse out the
hCards.

Very interest idea!
-brian

[1] - http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2006-November/007299.html