[uf-discuss] hCard e-mail link/value

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Sun Sep 23 17:18:08 PDT 2007

On Sep 22, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

> I've first used such a formatted hCard in some pages:
>
> <address class="vcard">
>   E-mail: <a class="email" href="mailto:John%20Doe%
> 3Cjohn.doe at example.com%3E">john.doe at example.com</a>
> </address>
>
> Then I've noticed some tools [1] I've tried which export vCard
> files out of that hCard information put the whole part after the
> mailto: scheme as an e-mail address value:

I think the reason this doesn't work the way you expect is due some
of us mis-reading the releveant RFCs and concluding that that syntax
for mailto URIs is incorrect. Upon re-reading them I think I was
wrong, the syntax you're using there is fine and should be supported.
I'll work on getting it into my parsers and the test suite.

> John Doe <john.doe at example.com>
>
> I don't really want it this way and I'm not sure how correct is it
> like that so I've tried the following form:
>
> <address class="vcard">
>   E-mail: <a class="email" href="mailto:John%20Doe%
> 3Cjohn.doe at example.com%3E"><span
> class="value">john.doe at example.com</span></a>
> </address>
>
> Shouldn't just the "value" be used as an e-mail address value this
> way?

Yeah. We should add a test for this.

> [1] Microformats Bookmarklet <http://leftlogic.com/lounge/articles/
> microformats_bookmarklet/>, Tails Export <https://
> addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2240>

-ryan