[uf-discuss] GRDDL with HTML 4.01

Tom Morris bbtommorris at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 15:08:10 PDT 2007

On 9/27/07, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> [I assume that GRDDL issues are on-topic here; if not please suggest a
> better forum Thank you.]
>
> I have been playing with using GRDDL, for example:
>
>         <http://www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/belvide/>
>
> but parsers barf on that page, presumably because it's HTML 4.01 not
> XHTML.
>
> Surely, as its valid HTML, parsers should be able to convert it, on the
> fly, to XHTML before extracting the RDF? Or have I misunderstood
> something?
>
> Are there parsers for GRDDL in HTML, which I've overlooked?

It is up to GRDDL implementors to add HTML parsing as they see fit. I
have an internal GRDDL parser which I use which pipes everything
through Tidy.

GRDDL implementors can also choose default profiles. For instance,
Triplr automatically looks for some common microformats (hCard and
hCalendar, IIRC).

Triplr parses the above-linked page fine:
http://triplr.org/rdf/www.westmidlandbirdclub.com/belvide/

It doesn't provide any information beyond the hCard. The Geo doesn't
parse either.

Triplr can't parse any of the actual GRDDL data. You ought to use a
profile page - perhaps a specific profile for your whole site with
links to different transformations. I've put together some  profiles:
http://tommorris.org/profiles/tommorris
http://tommorris.org/profiles/nsfw
http://tommorris.org/profiles/votelinks

Using data-view on the source document is not good practice. There's
no reason you can't but Triplr doesn't seem to be reading it. Better
just to make an XHTML page and shove the relevant links to the XSLT on
there.

The W3C hosts an official reference implementation GRDDL service:
http://www.w3.org/2007/08/grddl/
This should not read your page as it's designed to work closely to
spec - i.e. XHTML and XML, not HTML 4.

You can also get GRDDL support from irc.freenode.net #swig

Yours,

--
Tom Morris
http://tommorris.org/