[uf-discuss] Non-HTTP tags

Tom Morris bbtommorris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 02:03:40 PST 2008

The rel-tag specification says that tags ought to be HTTP URIs.

In a page I'm authoring at the moment, I'm using non-HTTP URIs as tags
- specifically I'm using irc: URIs (like
irc://irc.freenode.net/microformats) as tags.

Operator seems fine with it. I'm wondering whether other tag parsers
accept non-HTTP tags, and whether there is some kind of philosophical
justification for the current HTTP only policy for tags. It seems to
me that so long as the target resource URI conforms to the tag URI
structure, it shouldn't matter what protocol it uses.

Also, any thoughts on a rel-tag test suite? Specifications say,
implementations show, tests prove, remember. :)

--
Tom Morris
http://tommorris.org/