[uf-discuss] HTML 5, rev and votelinks

Frances Berriman fberriman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 00:31:48 PST 2008

On 25/01/2008, Mark Ng <mark at markng.me.uk> wrote:
> On spending some time looking at the absent attributes section in the
> html 5 differences document (
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-html5-diff-20080122/#absent-attributes ),
> I've noticed that rev is absent from the html 5 spec.  How does this
> affect usage of this attribute in vote-links ?

Hi Mark

I think various people have been aware of rev being non-existent in
HTML5 for a while.  It's not really cause for concern for a couple of
reasons.

Firstly, microformats in some cases will only be an interim solution
until something better comes along that does some of the things that
microformats do better (HTML5 may well be one of those things).  We
shouldn't therefore necessarily look at changing any formats *now* to
suit a spec that doesn't actually exist yet and may not for quite some
time.  Microformats have to work for what we've actually got in the
present.

As for the actual VoteLinks - I wonder if when it comes down to it, it
would be good and interesting to see how much usage they're actually
getting.  Rev is notoriously under-used and generally misunderstood (I
for one constantly swap the definitions of rev and rel and have to
double check each time).

Frances Berriman
http://fberriman.com