[uf-discuss] Unjust banning of Andy Mabbett

Jim R. Wilson wilson.jim.r at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 15:17:15 PST 2008

David Janes said:
> I'm very sympathetic to the case Ryan,
> et. al. are making. If the Wiki becomes a battleground for edits over
> pedantic over-interpretation of the community rules and standards, it
> will quickly become useless to anyone and a time drain on everyone.

I read the how-to-play article on Microformats.org[1], and a great
deal of the items there are, as Manu pointed out, editorial
preferences - which indicate that MediaWiki is very much the wrong
choice for Microformats documentation.

You don't want people to rename headings? Don't use MediaWiki.
You don't want people to use Talk pages to discuss things? Don't use MediaWiki.
You don't want people to relegate articles to Categories for
organization? Don't use MediaWiki.
You don't want people making stylistic or global changes? Don't user MediaWiki.

Also, item #24 really irks me - it starts "If you notice that someone
is iteratively editing a page (say by watching the IRC channel, or the
Special:Recentchanges page) that you'd like to edit, consider waiting
at least 10 minutes after the most recent edit before doing so,..."

If you want to have protection against "iterative" editing, don't use
MediaWiki, use Moinmoin (which will warn users if you're editing an
article).  To expect people to detect whether you're editing
something, and take steps so as not to interrupt you is lunacy.  Use
the "Preview" button rather than so-called "iterative edits".

Finally, under the Wiki Cleaning heading at the bottom, it says: "If
you see something which you think needs massive cleanup on the wiki,
please point it out to admins on the irc channel or
microformats-discuss list rather than doing it yourself."

Again, if you don't want people taking the initiative to produce and
maintain documentation - don't use MediaWiki!

Microformats shouldn't have a wiki, they should have a CMS.  Something
that the admins can execute explicit control over from their
ivory-tower control center.

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/how-to-play

-- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)