[uf-discuss] Rationale for providing hAtom instead of Atom/RSS feeds

Toby A Inkster mail at tobyinkster.co.uk
Wed May 28 00:49:55 PDT 2008

André Luís wrote:

> What is the rationale for providing an hAtom feed on a page for
> content that is also syndicated via a real Atom or RSS feed?
>
> Can someone provide me with a real use case?

One idea that I've been playing with is removing a page's Atom feed,
and replacing it with something like this:

   <link rel="service.feed" type="application/atom+xml"
       href="hatom2atom.php?uri=http://example.org/page.html"

So although David says that hAtom is not intended to replace Atom, it
can be used to abrogate the need to explicitly publish Atom as a
separate resource. (Though of course most Atom is not published by
hand, but by the same CMS that powers the HTML, so in these cases,
this technique won't save any work.)

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail at tobyinkster.co.uk>