[uf-discuss] Is this illegal? 1) dtends for yyyy or yyyy-mm. 2) Wikipedia vevents for birth and death.

Tantek Çelik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Sat Feb 28 08:29:20 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:56 PM, JMesserly <swarmers at gmail.com> wrote:
> I dropped a word- I meant to write
>
>>   I will interpret lack of >>further<< responses to the two inquiries as acknowledgment that the techniques described are regarded as acceptable in the microformats community.

JMesserly, that may not be a reliable conclusion as:

1. The microformats wiki is definitive, the email lists are only "informative".

http://microformats.org/wiki/wiki-better-than-email

2. Absence of objections should not be considered approval
http://microformats.org/wiki/logical-flaws#Absence_of_objections_is_not_approval

> I did not intend to pre-empt anyone's further comments and in fact
> would like to hear any additional opinions one way or the other.

I think there are still many ways of looking at the one event vs
multiple events question, and thus you will likely see several
comparably valid interpretations.

Perhaps consider adding an instance of the examples you have with
markup to the hCalendar examples page (maybe in a new section)

http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-examples

And from there further discussion/iteration can occur.

In addition, I have logged a summary of the original issues/question
of "is dtends for yyyy or yyyy-mm ok" here:

http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar-issues#2009

Please feel free to add more details/links of your question/issue
there as well to make sure we capture it properly.

Thanks,

Tantek