[uf-discuss] MediaWiki plugin

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 12:05:04 PST 2009

It looks to me like the wiki is being spammed  by a bot or bots, I have
suffered problems like this.

I stopped it by changing the form names to to something gibberish,
nothing standard  "wpTextbox1" would be come "ZifG5ut"  nonsense
basically, a good Idea is to change the form names regularly,  then you
can encode the submit, preview and show pages buttons in Java script and
insert them using a function. Its effective because most people who run
bots to spam wikis and blogs dont want to be bothered creating a special
script just for your site, they go for the low hanging fruit, the easy
money and in the end its nothing personal they just move on ;-)

Hope this Helps