[uf-new] title vs. summary (was: Third attempt at hAudio)

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 16:43:03 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 15:40 -0700, Joe Andrieu wrote:
> I would like to suggest "audio-title".
>
> "title" itself is already defined elsewhere, in an incompatible way.
>
> "summary" is inaccurate. Many titles are not summaries in any sense of the word:
>
> "Hey Joe" - Jimi Hendrix
> "Beethoven's Ninth Sympony" - Beethoven
> "Rainy Day Women #12 and 35" - Bob Dylan
> "The Start Spangled Banner" - Francis Scott Key
>
> In contrast, one could easily imagine "summary" being incredibly useful semantic HTML for podcasts or speaches, or indeed, for
> summarizing spoken essays.
>
> Because "summary" is often incorrect and has useful meaning on its own, I think it would be an error to shoehorn it into a
> replacement for "title".
>
> In particular, an hReview that has a summary, is the summary of the /review/. It would be confusing if it also served as the title
> of an an audio clip being reviewed, which I think would be a natural problem for an hReview that includes an hAudio.
>
> While hReview uses "summary" for title, it is understood that reviews rarely have artistic titles (they are rarely artistic media),
> and instead are usually titled as a summary of the entire review.
>
> Most artistic media, books, movies, poems, songs, and albums, on the other hand, have titles that are artistic expressions
> themselves.
>
> -j

I am presuming that the reason we have entry-title in hAtom and not
title is because title had already been defined in vcard to mean
something else, but there was compelling evidence to support a title of
a different meaning?

The evidence to support that we need a title in hAudio is at first quite
compelling also, but I don't think it applies to an individual audio. I
think an individual audio has artistic properties but also that the
title is a summary of the whole audio, you gave four good examples of
this in your statement.

we gave an image related to hAudio a tag of image-summary which also has
artistic properties but is a summary of an entire album or an actual CD
cover.

I suggested changing fn to summary because FN was confusing people, and
there are still a lot of people in the real world wrongly
misunderstanding its meaning as Full Name, and I also wanted something
that meant the same thing but was also re-using existing microformats as
per the process, and

http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-classes

summary has an already rich semantic meaning so I thought this would
make this easy (hmmm)

A last thought, If we use audio-title or any other derivative are we in
danger of reiterating the previous problem discussions we had with
work-title?

-Martin-