[uf-new] First attempt at hAudio proposal

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Wed May 2 14:08:28 PDT 2007

On 5/2/07, Manu Sporny <msporny at digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> >> On 02/05/07, Brian Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Can this problem be solved without inventing a new format?
>
> Several have tried, but nobody has been able to present good way to
> re-use hReview/hAtom. Perhaps you would like to give it a shot? Read
> this thread before you do  as this argument has been previously attempted:
>
> http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-March/000028.html
> http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-April/000096.html
>
> >> Can this be solved by extending an existing format?
>
> Maybe... but every attempt at doing so has been shot down to date. Read
> the previous threads. Please propose a solution if you think differently.

This comment is sort of meta, but here goes anyway...

When I was designing hAtom, I framed the discussion in terms of
semantic elements discovered / brainstormed -- Feed, Entry, Entry
Title, Entry Author and so forth, and the relationships between them.

The very last thing we did (almost literally) was assign class names
to these; but what they meant was already well understood, so it was
only a matter of understanding whether there was an existing element
or not.

Note that you're always free to adopt a subset of elements from hAtom
and hWhatever if they have the appropriate meaning. In fact you
probably _should_ maybe even _must_ adopt them. Then the question at
the end becomes "does it make sense to grab the top level container
element/class for this microformat, or grab a new one"

Regards, etc...
David

--
David Janes