[uf-new] Re: hAtom is not a silver bullet

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Thu May 3 14:04:05 PDT 2007

Edward O'Connor wrote:
> Manu Sporny wrote:
>
>> The argument has been put forth several times during the audio-info
>> exploratory process that hAtom should be used, directly, for
>> publishing information related to audio[...] While hAtom /could/ be
>> used for this purpose, I hope to outline several reasons on why this
>> is a bad idea[...]
>>
>> 2. hAtom has a very strong "syndication" background and is not fit for
>> describing audio recordings. They are different solutions.
>
> So the origin of hAtom in a syndication background isn't, as such, a
> reasonable reason to object to its use in non-syndication contexts.

The objection wasn't regarding its use in non-syndication contexts. The
objection was to its use when describing audio recordings:

"hAtom has a very strong "syndication" background and is not fit for
describing audio recordings. They are different solutions."

To further underline why hAtom is not good for hAudio, please refer to
this thread:

http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-May/000300.html

or even this one:

http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-April/000138.html