[uf-new] Measurement brainstorming (was: Measure & currency)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Oct 5 04:44:10 PDT 2007

On Fri, October 5, 2007 11:20, Chris Newell wrote:

>> a new "measurement" microformat straw-man on the wiki:

>> <http://microformats.org/wiki/measure-brainstorming#Straw_man>

> I guess you may have been through this but my first thought is why not
> separate unit-code and value?

Please read Taylor Cowan's original comments:

<http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-September/000915.html>

> The reasoning being:

> - Programmers hate parsing strings (particularly if you have to deal with
> a number of different formats and field orders) and parsing strings is
> notorious for causing implementation interoperability problems.

Microformats put the burden, where possible, on parsers, not publishers,
in order to make life as easy as possible for publishers.

> - Users may want to style the unit-code differently from the numerical
> value and the separation would make this easier.

They are not prevented from doing so by the current proposal.

> - Users wouldn't have to remember rules about the format of the string.

What rules?

> Straw man #2 could be:

That's already there, as an option, under "issues".

--
Andy Mabbett
** via webmail **