[uf-new] rel=license scoping and hAudio

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 11:19:23 PDT 2008

Martin McEvoy wrote:
> Hello Toby...
>
> Toby A Inkster wrote:
>> For the purposes of illustration, say I'm writing an article entitled
>> "Music in the Digital Age" discussing how the Internet has changed
>> modern music. I may wish to write that:

>>     released their recent album
>>     rel="license">Creative Commons license</a>
>>
>> Now, an hAudio parser (of which there are few) will interpret this as
>> meaning that the Nine Inch Nails' album is released under that licence.
>>
>> But a general rel=license parser (of which there are many, including
>> Yahoo! (cc) Search, Google Usage Rights Search, and absolutely any
>> RDFa parser) will interpret this as meaning that the whole page is
>> available under that licence, which may not be the case.
>>
>> With rel-tag, the scoping issue is of less importance. If I want to
>> tag, say, a particular hCard with a tag of "Tennis" because that
>> person is a tennis player, it is not too unreasonable if the whole
>> page is interpreted as being tagged "Tennis" - after all, the page
>> does mention a tennis player, so does have an (albeit perhaps minor)
>> topic of "Tennis".
>>
>> With rel-license scoping has potentially major legal ramifications.
>> Essentially it means that any rel=license link found needs to be
>> manually checked to determine exactly what the licence applies to.
>> And if one needs to manually inspect a page to determine its licence,
>> then rel=license is adding no value.
>>
> This is true,
>
> I would prefer to use rel="copyright"
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#type-links
>
> because rel="licence" is primarily used for CC licences.
>
> But even so the problem still exists that the rel-copyright still only
> applies to the entire document.
>
> So *maybe* there is need  for something more specific that can be
> related to the object maybe a rel="rights" or something else new..?

No Im wrong hAudio *can* use rel="copyright"

http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-faq#Are_rel_attributes_and_linktypes_in_general_just_document_to_document

"Are "rel" attributes, and linktypes in general, just document to document?

The vast majority of the rel values defined in HTML4 are from a document
to a document. rel="stylesheet" is a bit of an exception, as it from an
HTML document to a style sheet, which is more like a set of styling
rules and instructions than a "document" in the classical sense.

Two more notable exceptions are rel="copyright" and rel="bookmark" which
describe the relationship from the current document to (potentially)
only part of a document. "

Proposal:

change rel="licence" to rel="copyright"

I would have proposed rev="copyright" but rev is depreciated in
Microformats (which is a shame in this case because it looks like
something hAudio needs)

Thanks

Martin McEvoy