[uf-new] Re: hAudio issue: position

Michael Smethurst Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 09:19:34 PST 2008

On 12/1/08 20:48, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <1200097441.5162.47.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Martin
> McEvoy <martin at weborganics.co.uk> writes
>
>> Hello Andy
>>
>> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 20:27 +0000, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>>> I think that providing an alternative to OL in that manner, not to
>>> mention encouraging people to use it by having it as an example in
>>> the
>>> spec, is no better then "p class="heading">
>
>> I am not going to argue with you on that point I agree in principle,
>> but unlucky for us the "real world" is much different to the world we
>> are trying to create, you know as well as I that a lot of designers
>> still use tables for layouts, most are not interested in validating
>> their documents, or understand semantics beyond "web3.0"(yuck) or
>> "twine"(lol),
>
> I really don't think we should accord such bad behaviour credit by
> catering for it at the expense of good practise.
>
>> , in order to be adopted, this is why the compromise, allow authors to
>> publish hAudio in tables (If they so wish) and so making hAudio easier
>> to adopt.
>
> hAudio in tables is a separate issue to bad mark-up, Tables may well be
> valid, semantically-correct and the best way to mark up a page about
> number of audio recordings. The use of microformats in tables is itself
> an issue in need of further thought.
>
> For example (this is an illustrative question, not a proposal), should:
>
>         <th class="fn" scope="row">Name</fn>
>
> indicate that each cell in that column is to be treated as an FN if
> there is, say, a vCard across that cell's row? If not, how else might
> that be achieved?

Marking up audio in tables makes perfect sense in many cases

Given a tracklist for a radio programme it's a tuple of artist, track name,
release title, label, possibly track position on release. Which looks like a
table to me. Even if marked up as an ordered list the implied ordinality
would be that of the track in the programme episode, not that of the track
on the release

In the case of classical music identifying the track played by ordinality on
the release is extremely useful. So a way to markup ordinality other than as
a list would be preferable

http://www.bbc.co.uk/