[uf-new] hAudio 1.0 Draft Release

Martin McEvoy martin at weborganics.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 05:39:03 PST 2008

Manu Sporny wrote:
> Martin McEvoy wrote:
>
>> In Microformats this means that if a propery is used more than 80% of
>> the time then it should be included in the format,
>>

> We'll call this Statement A. If we were to hold this true, then we would
> be left with these properties for hAudio. We would pick only the
> properties that were used in at least 80% of all sites:
>
> # album artist: 95.12%
> # track title: 90.24%
> # album title: 87.80%
> # album tracks: 80.49%

The above information has been the crux of my issues with the audio-info
process, because we haven't YET created a microformat for Music Downloads.

The Proposal to create a Microformat for Music Downloads (If any one
remembers) was first posted by Marian Steinbach in
microformats-discuss[1], and later re-posted to microformats-new[2]:

[1]
http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2007-February/008848.html
[2]
http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-new/2007-March/000028.html

the question was twofold

1  "the automatic discovery of audio files, especially music MP3s, on
web pages"

and

2  "Provide users with the correct metadata about the audio files so
users know who it's from and whether or not they want the file"

seems simple doesn't it?

Not so... this whole process seems to have been sidetracked to talking
about Music Download Sites which are not the same as Music Downloads,
Confused now eh?

The differences are:
(a) A Music Download is a tangible File typically an mp3.
(b) Music Download Sites are  places where you can buy a Music download,
all are typically in the realm of a Product.

The whole hAudio process has based its discussion and findings around
the Service Publishing of Music examples (Music Download Sites (b)) ...
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Service_Publishing_of_Music
... A problem domain that for the most part are proprietary services,
none of which are concerned about distributing their information with
each other or with the web at large, their only concern is the sale of a
Product, highly relevant to the hListing discussion[1] and the hProduct
discussion[2], but not so much the Music Download discussion because the
download part is a secondary concern. Add that to the fact that the vast
majority of those services rely on SEO's/SEM's  to promote their
product, which adds a considerable monetary cost, and a lot of questions
to changing any aspect of their web sites, I would say that these
services are the least desirable target audience because they are
unlikely to be the early adopters of an Audio Microformat.

[1] http://microformats.org/wiki/hlisting-proposal
[2] http://microformats.org/wiki/hproduct-proposal

So, I have done a new study on the audio-info-examples[1] page but have
excluded all the Service Publishing of Music examples and concentrated
on the examples that are about A Music Download(a), mostly MP3's which
on the whole seems to have yielded different property results to the
ones currently discovered, sorry about posting this info here but I am
unsure on where I should put this info as there is a lot , the results
are as follows :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
title: hAudio examples analysis
url: <http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples>
date: 2008-10-24T00:01:30
author: Martin McEvoy
contact: <http://weborganics.co.uk/>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Music_Podcasting

http://www.coverville.com/archives/2008/10/coverville_517.html
description, title, published, contributor, position, download

http://magnatune.com/podcasts/details/magnatune_middle-eastern_podcast_2006_12_14
Feed, title, section, genre, length, published, contributor, interval,
download

http://www.mutantpop.net/radioclash/archives/2007/03/24/rc-113/
Feed, description, title, photo, format, duration, size, published,
contributor, download, category

http://www.btpodshow.com/shows/?sId=21&mId=5332173
Feed, description, title, episode , category, published, contributor,
position

http://indiecastwp.podshow.com/?p=76
Feed, description, title, section, format, category, length, published,
contributor, episode

ttp://www.accidenthash.com/2007/04/02/gray-wet-yuck-monday/
Feed, description, title, category, length, published, contributor,
episode, download

http://strongwordsinc.com/2007/05/31/episode-20-tranforming-you-into-stds-since-1983/
Feed, description, title, duration, published, episode, download, author

http://threehive.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=111596
Feed, description, title, photo, format, category, published,
contributor[s] author, episode, download

+ [more model examples]

http://music.for-robots.com/archives/002495.html
Feed, title, published, photo, description, author, contributor, download

http://www.fluxblog.org/2008/10/when-the-work-is-done
Feed, title, published, description, contributor, download

http://www.3hive.com/2008/10/photons.php
Feed, title, published, photo, description, author, contributor,
download[s] , format, category

http://www.saidthegramophone.com/archives/complete_coverage.php
Feed, title, published, photo, description, author, contributor, download

http://www.archasung.com/playlist/playlist-cloudy-days
Feed, title, published, photo, description, contributor, download[s]

http://betterpropaganda.com/content.aspx?id=840
Feed, title, photo, description, contributor, download[s], episode

http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/2008/10/a-bite-of-stars-a-slug-of-time-and-thou-episode-14/
Feed, title, published, description, author, contributor, download, episode

http://www.catbirdseat.org/archives/001093.php
Feed, title, published, description, contributor, download[s], format

http://the-big-ticket.blogspot.com/2007/09/all-in-game-indeed.html
Feed, title, published, description, author, contributor, download,
format, category

http://sixeyes.blogspot.com/2008/10/sixeyes-saturday-mix-oct-4th.html
Feed, title, published, photo, description, author, contributor, download

http://www.spoiltvictorianchild.co.uk/2007/11/no-vice-my-arse.html
Feed, title, published, photo, description, author, contributor, download

http://www.scissorkick.com/2008/09/midnight-lab-band/
Feed, title, published, photo, description, author, contributor,
download, format, category

http://loki23.blogspot.com/2008/09/flower-electronics.html
Feed, title, published, photo, description, author, contributor,
download[s], format, category

http://www.sweetthunder.org/tapes/weekonehundredandsix.html
Feed, title, published, photo, description, contributor, download, duration

http://www.arjanwrites.com/arjanwrites/2008/10/free-download-j.html
Feed, title, published, photo, description, contributor, download,
duration, format

23 examples

* feed: 23
* post-title: 23
* audio-title: 23
* download: 22
* author: 12
* contributor: 22
* published: 22
* episode: 7
* duration: 3
* interval: 1
* category: 9
* photo: 13
* format: 9

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Speech

http://www.microformats.org/blog/2005/09/30/web-essentials-audio/
title, published, description, author, contributor, category

http://chris.pirillo.com/2008/10/23/ethan-katz-bassett-the-hubble-project/
title, published, photo, description, author, contributor, download,
category

http://www.evilgeniuschronicles.org/wordpress/2006/01/12/egc-clambake-for-january-12-2006/
Feed, title, published, description, author, contributor, download,
format, category

http://www.podshow.com/shows/?mode=detail&episode_id=56539
Feed, title, description, download, author

http://www.cnet.com/8300-11455_1-10.html
Feed, title, description, published, episode, download, author

http://podcast.rubyonrails.org/
Feed, title, published, description, author, contributor, download, format

6 examples

* feed:4
* post-title: 6
* audio-title: 6
* download: 6
* author: 6
* contributor: 6
* published: 5
* episode: 1
* category: 3
* interval: 0
* duration: 0
* photo: 1
* format: 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Individual_Publishing_of_Music

http://www.bradsucks.net/music/
title, published, photo, contributor, download, payment, album title

http://www.scottandrew.com/music/
title, published, photo, contributor, download, payment, album title

2 examples

* feed 0
* post-title: 2
* audio-title: 2
* download: 2
* author: 0
* contributor: 2
* published: 2
* episode: 0
* category: 1
* interval: 0
* duration: 2
* photo: 2
* format: 0
* payment: 2
* album title: 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Mashups.2C_remixes.2C_cut-ups_and_audio-collages

http://www.mashuptown.com/2008/10/oasis-vs-amy-wi.html
Feed, title, published, photo, description, author, contributor, download

http://ccmixter.org/files/admiralbob77/17241
Feed, title, published, photo, description, contributor, download,
duration, format

2 examples

* feed: 2
* post-title: 2
* audio-title: 2
* download: 2
* author: 1
* contributor: 2
* published: 2
* episode: 0
* category: 0
* interval: 0
* duration: 0
* photo 0
* format: 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://microformats.org/wiki/audio-info-examples#Audio_books

http://darwin-online.org.uk/audio_darwin.html
title, download, description, format, episode

1 example

* feed: 0
* post-title: 1
* audio-title: 1
* download: 1
* author: 0
* contributor: 0
* published: 0
* episode: 1
* category: 0
* interval: 0
* duration: 0
* photo 0
* format: 1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All 34 examples appear in the context of a blog post, or published
article. All examples have a post-title and an audio-title, the hAudio
Proposal should reuse hAtom terms wherever possible.

Common properties discovered across all target domains and 34 available
sources.

* post-title [entry-title] : 100%
* audio-title [audio-title] : 100%
* download [enclosure] : 97.05%
* contributor [contributor] : 94.11%
* description [entry-content] : 91.17%
* published [published] : 91.17%
* feed [alternate] : 85.29%

* author [author] : 55.88%
* photo [photo] : 47.05%
* format [? type] : 38.23%
* category [category, tag] : 38.23%

* episode [?] : 26.47%
* duration [duration] : 14.70%
* payment [payment] : 5.88%
* album-title: 5.88%
* interval: 2.94%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Hope you all can see now why I have questioned this community so much
about every single property addition to haudio, and its motives. I
really would like to get the disussion on a Microformat for Music
Downloads back on track But I dont see how it can as both of the key
developers Manu and I, have two totally different oppinions on how an
Audio Microformat should "look", So what do we do now?

Best wishes

--
Martin McEvoy

http://weborganics.co.uk/