[uf-dev] Class on TD, data inside anchor link in cell

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Mon Apr 9 01:39:56 PDT 2007

I recently referred to the following in a thread about advocacy, on
-discuss:

        <http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2007-A
pril/009231.html>

but I think many parser people may have missed that.

Unfortunately, Wikipedia's wiki markup for a table doesn't (so far as
I'm aware!) allow a class to be applied to an anchor element, so I can
get:

   <TD class="fn org">
        <A title="Sudbury Basin"
        href="/wiki/Sudbury_Basin">Sudbury</A>
   </TD>

but not :

   <TD>
        <A class="fn org" title="Sudbury Basin"
        href="/wiki/Sudbury_Basin">Sudbury</A>
   </TD>

Hence my comment the other day, about adding uFs to Wikipedia being more
complex than at first appears...

That's now in use on, only:

   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_impact_craters_on_Earth>

Interestingly, Operator, Tails and WebCards all recognise the second as
a valid hCard (the "Almost Universal Microformat Parser" returns 403
forbidden :-( ).

I think that's against the spec, but useful in limited circumstances
(see my recent, parallel, suggestion about recognising "alt" attributes
on images). Is it valid? If so, is that documented? If it's not valid,
should parsers reject it?

--
Andy Mabbett