[microformats-discuss] xFolk (RC1) and Topic Maps

Rob . rob.02004 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 10:13:24 PDT 2005

Bud Gibson wrote:
> As regards the date, I need to understand the use case
> better and its importance.  Do you have some existing
> examples?

The default delicious bookmarklet sets the date to the time when you
bookmark a url. However the API allows you to set the date explicitly.
I'm making use of this feature in a NZ Parliamentary Debates indexing
project; I'm setting the bookmark date to the day that each
parliamentary debate occurred on, see:
http://del.icio.us/kiwimp/
http://kiwimp.sf.net/

> What would this date relate to?  When the
> bookmark was originally produced?  When it
> was republished somewhere?

My example above shows even in del.icio.us the date field can have
different meanings depending on how the API is used. Applications may
want to use the date field to find, sort or group bookmarks.

> What date formats do existing services use?

Delicious displays a yyyy-mm-dd format. My thought was we could
surround that with a span element. I'm new to microformats, so not
sure what best practices are.

 ... on <span class="date">2005-04-14</span> ...

Rob