[microformats-discuss] Carl Beeth raises an interesting point

Joe Germuska Joe at Germuska.com
Fri Jul 8 09:18:24 PDT 2005

At 11:48 AM -0400 7/8/05, Bud Gibson wrote:
>Joe:
>
>Not a bad suggestion.  However, I have never seen xlink really take
>off.  Is there a part of that spec that you find most relevant to
>this issue?

Well, Tantek's followup kind of makes the point, about heavy
theoretical issues and the sometimes corresponding lack of adoption,
I think!  You can tell from reading the spec that it's pretty much
the anti-microformat.

But in short, the spec defines a bunch of XML attributes which can be
used; specifically, the "class" attribute from the earlier example
would be rendered as "xlink:role", with a URI as a value.

SVG uses XLink specifically.  But then, SVG hasn't really taken off
either.  According to this page, Mozilla has some support for XLink
syntax: http://www.w3.org/XML/2000/09/LinkingImplementations.html
(can anyone point to a page which demonstrates this?)  But at the end
of the day,  I think the fact that the really sophisticated behavior
demonstrated in the spec's examples requires DTD hacking is pretty
much a death sentence.

Still, it seems like if all you want to do is add an attribute with
this purpose to a link, maybe you don't have to reinvent the wheel?

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe at Germuska.com